Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A new week

This last week has passed so quickly!  When you work a 9-5 and try to live sustainably, there is never a down moment.  Of course I would not have it any other way.  Hearing the pings of the jars sealing, smelling the earth.  Watching the birds and butterflies flight about, feeling the breeze in my hair..it's all worth it.  Canning season is in full go.  But we have just learned that my MIL is passing and we have to re-adjust and take care of things in a hurry before we head to NY.  The thing is...this is what it is about...living, birth, death, growing.  It is all about the cycle of life.  I have enjoyed watching the corn form, the humming birds and finch come down to the fountain and the cat who hangs out on our patio find some comfort .  We had several family events this week so we did not get thru our whole menu.  I did get bread and butter pickles, pickled jalapenos and yellow squash relish canned.  As I said on my little farm page..if you want the recipes just let me know and I will post them.  Here are two of our favorites from last weeks menu.  We did not care at all for the black bean burgers. I have fixed other grain burgers that  I liked much better.  Can't win them all! 

Creamy Polenta served with green beans:

This recipe sent me over the top and had me saying "Oh man that was good" all night!

1 2/3 cups water
pinch of baking soda
1.3 polenta....we just used corn meal
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 oz parmesan cheese grated and extra for serving

Bring water to a boil.  Stir in a pinch of salt and baking soda. Slowly add corn meal, stirring constantly.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat to lowest possible heat and cover.  After 5 minutes, whisk the cornmeal to smooth out any lumps.  Cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes.  Off heat stir in cheese and butter.  The green beans went perfect on the side....adding a needed crunch.


Pan-seared Shrimp with Spicy Orange Glaze

Glaze:
1 tablespoon mince fresh cilantro
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp Asian chili-garlic sauce
1.2 tsp grate orange zest plus 2 tablespoons juice

Shrimp:
12 oz. shrimp
1/8 tsp sugar
salt and pepper 2 tsp oil
For the glaze: whisk together all the ingredients .
For the shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry and season and heat a skillet to just smoking.  Add shrimp in a single layer and cook until lightly browned.  Add whisked glaze to the skillet.  Bring to a simmer and cook, tossing shrimp to cook until glaze is slightly thickened.  We served over a mix of brown and wild rice blend of rice.  Believe me...this is a killer!

Have fun cooking and thanks for taking my mind off grief for a while..cooking and gardening seems to help me with that.  This blog is dedicated to my MIL...who always bragged about my talents...deserved or not.. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment