Friday, May 25, 2012

A Slow Week at Sustainable Little Surburban Farm

Soup For Lunch

Not too much action at the little suburban farm this week.  My 9-5 has been hectic by the time I get home I just want to sit and knit.  I have however been dehydrating veggies to make a mixed soup mix for work lunches.  Those canned soups and even worse boxed soups are not an option for me.  So I roam the farmer's market (our veggies, except for the greens are not at picken stage yet) for veggies on sale.  Toward the end of the day, the farmers bag up the stuff that won't make it to the next farmer's market and sell for a buck or two.  I grab those real quick. Also any veggies in our home that I know won't get used in time I throw in there.  I plan on doing some onions and garlic also (I will make sure we aren't gonna have company for a few days when I do that.  This week was oyster mushrooms, crimini mushrooms and squash.  Have you used oyster mushrooms in your cooking before?  This is the first time I have had them because they are pretty expensive.  For a bag this week I paid 2 bucks so I feel lucky.


Zucchini and Crookneck Squash
Lemon Verbena and Mint Tea

Have you tried lemon balm and mint tea.  I just discovered how wonderful it is.  I don't know the specific amounts.  I just took about 5 leaves of the lemon verbena and a handful of mint leaves put them in a nice clear tea pot with a strainer on the spout and poured boiling water over them and let them seep for about 3 minutes.  Was afraid any longer would make the leaves bitter.
Lemon Verbena





Mint

And then there are edible flowers to pretty up those homemade meals or put in jams and jellies

Nasturtiums

And lastly, we cut and cooked our  first mustard greens of the spring.  Yummy.  Do you remember canned spinach as a kid?  Until I started growing my own, I didn't care much for greens.


Yes I know I need to weed.  Seems like a never ending job.

The End

Well that's it for now.  I hope to get my blog legs back and share our journey with you and perhaps leave you with some helpful information.  I look forward to your comments, advice, or feedback.  Tomorrow I will be making yogurt, and will post the instructions here next Friday along with any info I gather about making solar fountains.
Happy digging in the dirt!




2 comments:

  1. So glad you're back to blogging and letting us see what you're working at. Great tip about getting veggies at the end of the market. We grow lemon verbena (isn't the scent amazing?) and mint, will definitely make some of that tea this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi!Oh the scent of lemon verbena is my all time fav! The tea is soooo relaxing. Let me know what you think.

      Delete