Friday, September 28, 2012

                                                A JOURNEY TO SUSTAINABLE LIVING

In many ways, I have always lived a sustainable life.  I have always had a garden, for many years I have preserved either by canning or dehydrating. As I have said in a previous blog, I was raised that way.  But it has not been until the last year or so that something really hit home and that is that I want to be in control of what I eat and how I live my life.  I want to do what feels right and living sustainably is a no brainer to me.  The thing I realized, and probably have always known, is that if you rely on "things" to make you happy,  and if you don't take charge of what goes in your body, then chances are you are "owned" by the big companies that tell you what you should like and how you should live.  Because that is how they make money, by making you believe that if you eat that creamy boxed mac and cheese, if you drive a car and own a home that you can't afford, if you have all those new electronics, if you have all the fancy clothes....you will be happy, feel better, and succeed.  The truth is that it's not true.  For years we have been lied to about what is good for us, but it wasn't and isn't good for us..it is good for the big corporations.  I am convinced beyond a doubt that the mass produced food we have been told was healthy for us has made us sick.  We are not eating real food...we are eating food "like' stuff.   We have gone more and more into debt because we are told we need more stuff.  When these things hit home...actually hit me between the eyes...I started changing my life.  I don't grow a garden, cook at home, preserve food, or only buy what I need because I think that the world is coming to an end or that we are going to have a zombie attack (although I want to be ready in case that happens :-).  I do those things because I want to be in control of my life.  I don't want to owe anyone so that I have to work until I am 75, and I certainly want to know where my food came from and what is in it.  Trusting in a corporation that could'nt care less about me is not an alternative for me.
So I kicked up my journey to sustainable living.  I know that I will never be 100% sustainable or that I will not leave my carbon footprints at anytime.  I can only take my little suburban farm and do the most I can.  I read a lot, just about my view point but the opposite view point also.  I want to make an educated decision.  There are always pros and cons to any view point and you have to weigh those pros and cons.  I have seen too many people who put blinders on when it comes to hearing the other side and believe me....people are taking sides on this issue....especially the issue of food.  Just post on a blog or Facebook that you would like to be able to make sure everyone gets food and I guarantee that you will get some nasty replies.
I have a long way to go on this journey.  For it to dawn on me at the beginning of fall that I have not put any fruit by is an indicator that I need to be thinking more.  I need to focus more.  One of my biggest hurdles is that I have a 9-5 job, while I don't hate my job, it does have a draining effect on me...I come home and I don't want to do anything.  I have to learn to keep the big picture in front of me, if I don't someone else wins.
Living the way I do feels right and it is worth the effort.  It makes me feel connected..it makes me aware of the seasons. This year I have noticed how different birds come to the feeder at different times of the year.  The smell of fresh veggies and fruits makes me smile and makes me frown when somebody dripping in perfume passes me at the farmer's market.  I don't want superficial ...I want the real thing...so I will continue this journey.  I know there are people that laugh at people like me...call me a tree hugger or a hippie...I really don't care...this is not a passing phase with me...this is a way of life
Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post - so articulate and clear, and I agree with your points. Good for you to be doing such great things for really valid reasons. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete